Income Tax Filing Status

Your filing status determines filing requirements, standard deduction, and correct tax. It also determines whether you can or cannot claim certain other deductions and credits.
These are the five filing statuses;
  •  Single--Your filing status is single if, on the last day of the year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree, and you do not qualify for another filing status.

  •  Married Filing Jointly--You can choose married filing jointly as your filing status if you are married and both you and your spouse agree to file a joint return.

  •  Married Filing Separately--You can choose married filing separately as your filing status if you are married. This method may be beneficial if you want to be responsible only for your own tax or if this method results in less tax than a joint return. If you choose married filing separately, special rules apply. Because of these rules, you will usually pay more tax on a married filing separate return than if another filing status for which you qualify is used.

  •  Head of Household--You may be able to file as head of household if the following requirements are met:

                            a) You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year.
                            b) You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home.
                            c) A qualifying person lived with you in the home for more than half the year, except for         temporary absences. However, if the qualifying person is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you, but you must have paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home that was the main home of the parent for the entire year.

But, you cannot file head of household using a person as your dependent only because: 
  • They lived with you the entire year, or
  • You are entitled to claim them under a multiple support agreement.
  • You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all of the following tests: 
  • You file a separate return.
  • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.
  • Your spouse did NOT live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he/or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances, such as being on a business trip, in the hospital or being deployed with the military.
  • Your home was the main home of your child, stepchild, or eligible foster child for more than half the year.
  • You must be able to claim an exemption for the child. You can still meet this test if you cannot claim the exemption only because the non custodial parent is allowed to claim the exemption for the child
  • 5. Qualifying widow(er) with Dependent Child--To be eligible to file as a qualifying widow(er) with dependent child, you must meet the following tests:

                     •You were entitled to file jointly with your spouse for the year your spouse died.
                     •Your spouse died in either of the two preceding years and you did not remarry before the end of   the current tax year.
                     •You have a child or stepchild for whom you can claim an exemption.
                    •You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a main home for you and that child for the entire year except for temporary absences.

If your spouse died in the current tax year, you can use married filing jointly as yourfiling status, if you otherwise qualify to use that status. You may be eligible to use qualifying widow(er) with dependent child as your filing status for 2 years following the year in which the spouse died. This gives you the benefit of using the joint filing rates and the highest standard deduction amount.